According to World Health Organization, millions of children are affected, and almost half a million become blind each year especially in developing countries because of Vitamin A deficiency.
Proper food intake and wearing protective gears against eye threats
can help save our eyes. Eye threats can be from light,small
particles,wind blast, heat, sea spray or some type of ball or puck used
in sports. Sometimes we experienced headaches and eye strain especially
if working more than 10 hours a day.
1. When reading, good lighting, erect position and
proper distance should be practiced. Children should be taught not to
be too close to computer or television, and have an allocated time for
them to stay so as not to strain their eyes watching or playing games in
2. Choose the right toys for children, avoid pointed, sharp-edged and other dangerous toys.
3. Keep household chemicals and pointed objects beyond the reach of infants and children.
4. Do not look directly at the sun, bright lights,welding or eclipses.
5. Avoid touching eyes with dirty hands,towels,handkerchiefs and or other materials.
6. Have a good sleep, there is no better way to give the eyes a rest with an enough amount of sleep.
7. Be aware of the warning symptoms of vision problems such as
blurring of vision with or without eyeglasses, seeing spots or light
flashes, redness,tearing, itchiness,pain,swelling, seeing double,
repeated and persistent headache or dizziness.
8. Have a periodic check up by an optometrist once a year.
9. If a small particle gets in your eyes, do not rub the affected
eye, but rub the other eye instead. If the object can be seen, try to
wipe it gently by using the sterile gauze, or the corner of a clean
handkerchief. On the other hand, if you still not able to wash it out
call a physician immediately to professional remove it as soon as
10. Vitamin A is good for the eyes health. It helps in body
functions such as: vision, gene transcription, immune function,
embryonic development and reproduction, bone metabolism, haematopoiesis,
skin health and antioxidant activity. Sources of Vitamin A are :
liver ,beef, pork, chicken,turkey, fish,carrot, broccoli leaf,sweet
potato, butter, spinach,pumpkin, collard greens,cheddar
11. Wear protective gears. Safety glasses to prevent dust particles getting into eyes.
Solar eclipse glasses
12. Have intervals and take time to relax your eyes.